httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by JeffTrawick
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 13:57:33 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ" page has been changed by JeffTrawick:
https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=34&rev2=35

Comment:
remove the misleading info about binaries; defer for the time being explicitly listing third-party
binary providers

  == Where can I get Apache httpd? ==
  You can find out how to download the source for Apache at the [[http://httpd.apache.org|main
Apache web server site]].

- == Where can I download (certified) 64 bit Apache httpd binaries for Windows? ==
- Right now, there are none. The Apache Software Foundation produces Open '''Source''' Software.
The 32 bit binaries provided are a courtesy of the community members.
+ == Why isn't there a current binary for my platform? ==
+ The occasional availability of binaries for one platform or another at http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/
has been a source of confusion for the user community, particularly the large subset which
uses the Windows platform and is not able to build httpd and prerequisites themselves.
+
+ Producing binaries for general use is not part of the httpd release process.  By policy
the group does not formally release binaries and is in no position to ensure their consistent
availability.  (No mechanisms exist to review, test, and approve them -- we can only formally
release source).
+
+ If you are unable to build a binary for your platform, consult the Users mailing list for
recommendations.

  == May I use the Apache logo on my product or Web site? ==
  You may NOT use any original artwork from the Apache Software Foundation, nor make or use
modified versions of such artwork, except under the conditions in the  [[http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/|Apache
Trademark Policy]] document.
@@ -107, +111 @@

  Regular expressions are a way of describing a pattern - for example, "all the words that
begin with the letter A" or "every 10-digit phone number" or even "Every sentence with two
commas in it, and no capital letter Q". Regular expressions (aka "regex"s) are useful in Apache
because they let you apply certain attributes against collections of files or resources in
very flexible ways - for example, all .gif and .jpg files under any "images" directory could
be written as `/images/.*(jpg|gif)$`. Note that httpd doesn't need the delimiting `//` so
as to avoid "toothpicks" when matching URIs or paths, like: `/\/foo\/bar\/?/`

  The best overview around is probably the [[http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html|one which
comes with Perl]].  Apache's regular expressions use [[http://www.pcre.org/|PCRE - Perl Compatible
Regular Expressions]].
-
- == Why isn't there a binary for my platform? ==
- The developers make sure that the software builds and works correctly on the platforms available
to them; this does not necessarily mean that your platform is one of them. In addition, the
Apache HTTP server project is primarily source oriented, meaning that distributing valid and
buildable source code is the purpose of a release, not making sure that there is a binary
package for all of the supported platforms.
-
- If you don't see a kit for your platform listed in the binary distribution area (http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/),
it means either that the platform isn't available to any of the developers, or that they just
haven't gotten around to preparing a binary for it. As this is a voluntary project, they are
under no obligation to do so. Users are encouraged and expected to build the software themselves.
-
- The sole exception to these practices is the Windows package. Unlike most Unix and Unix-like
platforms, Windows systems do not come with a bundled software development environment, so
we do prepare binary kits for Windows when we make a release. Again, however, it's a voluntary
thing and only a limited number of the developers have the capability to build the InstallShield
package, so the Windows release may lag somewhat behind the source release. This lag should
be no more than a few days at most.

  = Building Apache httpd =
  == Why do I get an error about an undefined reference to "__inet_ntoa" or other __inet_*
symbols? ==