httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1468709 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/rewrite/rewritemap.xml
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 07:03:29 GMT
On Thursday 18 April 2013 17:11:48 Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2013, at 4:57 AM, André Malo wrote:
> > * rbowen@apache.org wrote:
> >> Author: rbowen
> >> Date: Wed Apr 17 01:51:22 2013
> >> New Revision: 1468709

> >> Log:
> >> Rearranges the sections so that 'int' is first, where it makes more
> >> sense, so that types progress in order of complexity, rather than some
> >> other arbitrary order.
> >
> > I always thought, plain text is just the most-used case an therefore the
> > first ;)
>
> Maybe that's reversing cause and effect? ;-)

I'm not sure. I agree, that the internal maps are pretty unknown to a lot of
people, but also I think, the simple mapping old -> new is the most common
use case (at least for starters). Together with the random maps and given
that mod_rewrite was initially used for load balancing, text maps may have
been the first maps implemented (and therefore have been described first).
But I'd need to check that.

> Mostly this was a reaction to yet another "why didn't you tell me that
> first?" comment in a mod_rewrite training. If you disagree, I'd be glad to
> revert. I don't feel strongly about it.

No, no. I don't actually care about the order here ;-)

nd