httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Bernard Higonnet <bth...@higonnet.net>
Subject Re: Suggested clarification to page http://httpd.apache.org/ re version 2.4 and mod_perl 2.0
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:13:56 GMT
On 22/02/2013 01:29, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:46:52 +0100
> Bernard Higonnet <bthcom@higonnet.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Inasmuch as mod_perl doesn't work with Apache 2.4, I think a sentence to
>> the effect "Unfortunately, this version can not now be used with
>> mod_perl." should be added to the present description of
>
> Doesn't work like that.  We're not responsible for mod_perl so it's not
> up to us to say whether it works or not.  If we get into that, we're
> setting ourselves up for a lot of trouble when some users insist it
> works and others insist it doesn't.
>
> The mod_perl folks should be able to say what server versions
> they recommend using it with.

I do understand that Apache 2.4 does work by itself and the central
issue is that mod_perl does not work with Apache 2.4.

On a theoretical basis, or if you prefer, on a basis of principle,
that's certainly correct.

However, on a practical basis, on the basis of providing a community of
users useful and helpful information, I think such a position falls
short. I do not want to, nor do I want to appear to, start a flame war,
but I was under the impression that a) there are many many Apache sites
that use mod_perl and b) httpd and mod_perl are both Apache Software
Foundation projects, so it is not unreasonable for members of such a
community to expect some level of communication and/or coordination
between two such projects.

Perhaps my original suggestion was not phrased positively enough and
could be improved: "Right now, this version can not be used with
mod_perl but the mod_perl team is working hard to add mod_perl."

Just to confirm what any reader of this thread must be thinking, my
original comment was born of frustration in not having read carefully
enough the mod_perl download page
(http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html) which indicates in a
low-key way that indeed mod_perl doesn't work with 2.4 (that fact might
be made more obvious there too...). I have built a number of Apache
servers, all with mod_perl, and took off with the latest, and I thought
best in every way, version and realized my error (yes, indubitably my
error) when I got to installing mod_perl.

There are various levels of goodness in documentation, involving
separate notions such as

accuracy
completeness
helpfulness

and I think it would be nice, and more helpful, if Apache documentation
scored well on all these criteria.

Bernard Higonnet