httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tim Bannister <is...@jellybaby.net>
Subject Re: lock down wiki?
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 19:42:58 GMT
On 9 Jan 2013, at 13:11, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what technology choices we have, but should we lock down the wiki and require
accounts/approval?  I don't think we'll be getting in anyones way and will save us from processing
the regular spam.

> The few valuable contributions we're seeing are from e.g. committers or "regulars" from
some support forum or another.

I'm one of the people that Rich Bowen doesn't want to deter. I haven't added much but I've
made some small edits that I hope have been useful improvements.

How about a better CAPTCHA rather than approval? One thing that might happen (and has happened
to other wikis) is that the deletion workload is replaced by an account rejection workload.
In fact, given that most spam is on nonsense user pages the difference might be pretty small.

I realise that:
• a good CAPTCHA is more work to set up
• spammers can and do get past CAPTCHAs
• it's still a barrier to contributions

If anyone knows a wiki that lets people /propose/ edits without filling in a CAPTCHA, that
might be enough. It should reduce spam because the spammers have little to gain from proposing
a spam edit.

--
Tim Bannister – isoma@jellybaby.net