httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems With Doc Build Target "latex-en"
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:23:44 GMT
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Vincent de Lau <vincent@delau.nl> wrote:
>>> Van: Tom Browder [mailto:tom.browder@gmail.com]
>> I'm not sure why you'd want to use the HTML files or Pandoc to generate a
>> tex file and convert that into a PDF. The XML files are very structured and
>> would allow for nice cross-references.

Hm, Vincent, I think you're right.  I just received my "new" Apache
Modules book by Nick Kew (pub. 2007) and he says on p. 11, "All
original documents are in an XML format that is a subset of DocBook."

If that is still true, I can change my proposal for pdf to:

  # existing flow
  apache-doc.xsl => [stylesheets of some kind] => apache-doc.tex
  pdflatex apache-doc.tex => apache-doc.pdf

  # new flow
  apache-doc.xsl => [DocBook  5 stylesheets] => apache-doc.fo
  apache-doc.fo => [Apache Fop 1+] => apache-doc.pdf

In my experience we have been using the xsltproc (from libxml2) for
conversion from xml to fo, but the Apache Java tool chain should work
okay, too.

Best,

-Tom