httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems With Doc Build Target "latex-en"
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:48:20 GMT
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:15 AM, André Malo <nd@perlig.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2012 13:22:20 Vincent de Lau wrote:
>> > I am interested in helping the situation and have some good experience
>> > in DocBook 5 using the xsltproc/fop tool chain in my own project for
>> > html and pdf output.  I also have contributed to the DocBook work flow
>> > for html, pdf, and man page generation for the open source project BRL-
>> > CAD (http://brlcad.org).
>>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Last week I was also looking at the PDF thing, because of a note in the
>> STATUS file. As an exercise to myself I was planning on using FOP to
>> generate PDF. That would require XSLT templates to be created to convert
>> the docs into XSL FO.
>
> It would be nice. I've tried that 10 years ago, but apache fop didn't have the
> necessary features back then (I'm not up-to-date about them now). As a
> consequence, Joshua built the latex solution.

If my assumptions are correct (including that the source docs are in
project-specific xml), then maybe, using current apache source docs
xml, which seem to produce great html with the current stylesheets,
it's worth looking into a Pandoc solution:

  # the existing flow, makes excellent html IMHO
  apache-doc.xml => apache-doc.html

  # NEW flow
  Pandoc <= apache-doc.html => apache-doc.tex

  # existing flow
  pdflatex apache-doc.tex => apache-doc.

It would replace the current xml => latex stylesheets and it may
result in a better translation.

Best,

-Tom