httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "DocsCommentSystem" by DanielGruno
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 06:38:57 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "DocsCommentSystem" page has been changed by DanielGruno:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DocsCommentSystem?action=diff&rev1=8&rev2=9

Comment:
Updating in lieu of moving site to ASF

   * As a possible means of recruiting new committers and general contributors by lowering
the bar for contributing to the documentation effort

  == Proposed solution ==
- The currently proposed solution is to use a new comment system developed for the Apache
HTTP Server Project.
+ The currently proposed solution is to use a new comment system developed for the Apache
Software Foundation.

- For the time being, this solution is being hosted off-site, but plans are in motion to host
this within the ASF.
+ This system is now hosted on ASF hardware at https://comments.apache.org

  === Technology ===
  The comments are added using a JavaScript snippet at the bottom of each page. Furthermore,
a new section, called "Comments" will be added to the bottom of each affected page. This section
is already ready for most translations, as it uses the build system's locale feature for setting
the title of the section. As this will be incorporated directly into the XSL documents, there
will be no need for documenters to add anything new to any page, it will happen automatically
with each affected page.
@@ -28, +28 @@

  Each branch (2.2, 2.4 and trunk) will have its own separate comments. We may choose to copy
or move comments from one branch to another, and if this is deemed necessary, a plugin for
the comment system will be set up to allow for easy movement between branches.

  === Languages ===
+ The various translations will, together with the English version, share the same discussions.
Threads will be based on the page that is being shown, not the language it is being shown
in. Comments about translations (typos etc) will be tolerated, but all other communication
should be in English, so we have a better chance of moderating and following up on comments.
- The various translations will, together with the English version, share the same discussions.
Threads will be based on the page that is being shown, not the language it is being shown
in.
- Comments about translations (typos etc) will be tolerated, but all other communication should
be in English, so we have a better chance of moderating and following up on comments.

  === Moderating comments ===
  Comments will, in general, be allowed through without pre-approval. Comments with hyperlinks
in them will require approval from a moderator before they are shown on the site. The comment
system itself has a built-in Turing test that should get rid of most of the spam (we have
yet to receive any spam).
@@ -46, +45 @@

  For security reasons, user friendliness and other browser quirkiness issues, the comments
will not be available for viewing when viewing the documentation from any other place than
httpd.a.o.

  === Comment Exports ===
- The comment system supports an XML export of comments (which can be found [[http://c.apaste.info/export.lua?site=httpd|here]]).
At this time, there doesn't seem to be any pressing need for this, if we move to infra anyway.
+ The comment system supports an XML export of comments (which can be found [[https://comments.apache.org/export.lua?site=httpd|here]]).
At this time, there doesn't seem to be any pressing need for this, but it's there should we
need it.

  == Questions for further discussion ==
  There are no outstanding questions. If you have one, please add it.