httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: End of life for 2.0 documentation?
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:22:06 GMT

On Jul 13, 2012, at 9:12 AM, Daniel Gruno wrote:

> Yes, it's grumpy old me again, singing the same song from before.
> It appears that Google et al are still showing our 2.0 documentation as
> a preferred page when searching for various modules and keywords, and I
> still don't like this. I'd like to propose that we add some meta data to
> our 2.0 pages, more specifically:

> or
> 	<link rel="canonical" href="http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/"/>

Coming late to the party, a comment or two:

1) For the 1.3 docs, obviously, I had to add those rel canonical links by hand to each HTML
file. Ew. As such, there are still many of those docs that don't have it, and so are still
top of the Google results. Patches welcome.

2) The biggest difficulty with adding these rel tags automatically is when docs change name,
or disappear entirely, between versions. In those cases, we need to do something special.
It's not obvious to me how to do this automatically without generating broken links in those
cases. That would obviously be bad.

Other than that, I'm very much in favor of this change, and think it's a great service both
to the end-users and to the documentation team.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen