On May 3, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

I've long been a fan of the PHP documentation - specifically, the way that they solicit commentary from readers, and then fold that commentary into the docs. Not only did it encourage me to comment on the docs, it also got me involved in the PHP documentation project, at least marginally. The barrier to entry is so low that all you have to do is be a writer.

I introduced a comment mechanism at apachetutor, only to find a predominance of spam over
anything worth having (a very occasional worthwhile comment or question that provoked me
to update something).  There's also an annoying-spam issue on our httpd wiki.

How does PHP documentation deal with the problem of spam?

I've noticed *very* little spam in the php docs. They have an "are you a human" type of math word problem that you have to answer. Like "What is five minus one". But they also moderate the comments as they come in, which is a thankless job. I think that it's worthwhile, but will require some folks volunteering to staff this. I volunteer.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen