httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <rum...@cord.dk>
Subject Re: Comment system, take two and a half
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 09:25:46 GMT

On 05/30/2012 12:03 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> I think we should keep them, all.  That said, I think they need to be most recent
> first, and it would be really cool to fade them from black to very light gray
> over time unless they are voted up as 'useful info' within the most recent year.

Whether we keep them all or not is really not my concern. You can do as
you please; Delete comments when they are implemented or off-topic, or
you can keep them. I don't really care that much about the nitty gritty
details of how you want to proceed (read: It's not a show-stopper for
implementing comments whether we disagree on keeping them forever or
not, and it's perhaps better suited for when we actually have some
comments to look at and discuss the validity of).

I've changed the ordering of the comments, so the newest comments now
appear first, except for replies, thus the new order would be something
like:

- Newest comment here (1 hour ago)
- Older comment here (4 days ago)
- - Reply 1 to old comment (4 days ago)
- - Reply 2 to old comment (2 days ago)
- - Reply 3 to old comment (12 hours ago)
- Oldest comment here. (6 days ago)

As for rating them, I've added a simple rating system where people can
+1 or -1 a comment, and if we, in the near future, decide we want these
ratings to have an impact on how the comments are displayed, then we'll
just make that adjustment once/if it makes sense to do so. However, I
don't really see that as something we need to decide on right now, as
it's better to view this in a bigger scope once comments have been made
on pages and we can see if this'll make sense to implement or not.

On 05/30/2012 10:28 AM, Lucien Gentis wrote:

> I think it's going to be very difficult, technically, to implement the stuff you want.
It's either going to be "each translation has its own comment thread" or it's going to be
"all translations share the same comments". I'm sure the human mind can differentiate between
comments that are meant for a specific translation, and comments that are meant as a general
comment to the overall meaning of the documentation.
> At the moment, the consensus is leaning towards just making it simple and getting all
translations to use the same comment thread. If there's no big objections to this, I'll assume
that's what we're going to go for, at least initially. We can ALWAYS change the details of
this as we go along.

I think it's going to be very difficult, technically, to implement the
stuff you want. It's either going to be "each translation has its own
comment thread" or it's going to be "all translations share the same
comments". I'm sure the human mind can differentiate between comments
that are meant for a specific translation, and comments that are meant
as a general comment to the overall meaning of the documentation.
At the moment, the consensus is leaning towards just making it simple
and getting all translations to use the same comment thread. If there's
no big objections to this, I'll assume that's what we're going to go
for, at least initially. We can ALWAYS change the details of this as we
go along.

With regards,
Daniel.