httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <rum...@cord.dk>
Subject Re: Proposal to move docs to Apache CMS
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 21:53:48 GMT
On 02-05-2012 23:40, André Malo wrote:

> More thoughts on this (unsorted):
>
> - Also it's a nice thing to check in documentation together with code. From
>   time to time patches arrive that way. In fact, I'd rather support more of
>   those.
>
> - Oh, patches. How does the CMS deal with those in general? Do I need to
>   apply them manually then in a browser window?
>
> - Which leads to the next point: I've never used the CMS. How does it play
>   together with my own editor?
>
> - How does the CMS play along with the other build targets (CHM, tarball). I
>   guess, it does not at all (CHM needs windows in very specific
>   configurations). So we still need a separate build system then?
>
> - How does the CMS handle the build output? (e.g. ./build.sh de emits the
>   outdated de-translations at the end)
>
> nd
>
> [1] *Sigh* I'm wondering, why so many people here don't know about OUR
>     docs-project pages.
>
> [2] Not everybody needs to run the build system (some people don't even have
>     java on their box). Someone else will run it then at the next
>     opportunity. In fact, it's encouraged that you run it only on languages
>     you understand enough.

I do have some similar concerns that I would like to get addressed
before I can form an actual opinion about moving to a CMS system:

1) What happens if (or rather when) a build fails? Will there be a
notification of sorts to some mailing list? As I recall, in our current
build system, documents are first deleted, then attempted rebuilt, thus
when a build fails, it leaves us without the .html.en page - would that
simply make the page 404'ed on our site, and subsequently, would it
delete it from the svn repo?

2) How is an online edit recorded? When I edit something online, does it
register as an SVN commit what I do, or does it just magically update
itself out of thin air? And what about rebuilds, would they be counted
as a separate commit or how would that fit in? And can I add a log entry
to my edit?

What I guess it boils down to is this: I'd really, really like for some
"trunk-trunk" where we could see how this system actually works, before
I can make up my mind. Would this be possible to do?

And finally, slightly off-topic, I would like to thank André for his
efforts in rebuilding and fixing up props when the rest of us
narrow-minded people neglect to do so - your attention to details is
commendable. Maybe, similar to the proposed clone_drbacchus() function,
we can add one for you as well :) (get working on the code already, wrowe!)

With regards,
Daniel.