httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "DocsCommentSystem" by DanielGruno
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 04:28:38 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "DocsCommentSystem" page has been changed by DanielGruno:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DocsCommentSystem?action=diff&rev1=5&rev2=6

   * As a possible means of recruiting new committers and general contributors by lowering
the bar for contributing to the documentation effort

  == Proposed solution ==
- The currently proposed solution is to use the Disqus comment system ( http://www.disqus.com
), as it is a mature system with plenty of moderation options, and it would allow us to make
use of commentary without having to develop a new system in-house.
+ The currently proposed solution is to use a new comment system developed for the Apache
HTTP Server Project. For the time being, this solution is being hosted off-site, but plans
are in motion to host this within the ASF.

  === Technology ===
  The comments are added using a JavaScript snippet at the bottom of each page. Furthermore,
a new section, called "Comments" will be added to the bottom of each affected page. This section
is already ready for most translations, as it uses the build system's locale feature for setting
the title of the section. As this will be incorporated directly into the XSL documents, there
will be no need for documenters to add anything new to any page, it will happen automatically
with each affected page.
+
+ The backend system itself is run by Lua scripts on Apache 2.4 with mod_pLua and a MySQL
database. Source codes can be found at http://c.apaste.info/source/

  === Which pages can be commented ===
  The comment system will be available for all how-to guides and module pages. All index pages,
quick references and the likes will not have the comment system attached to them. Furthermore,
the comment system will not be available in the CHM or zipped versions (WAR?) of the documentation.
@@ -24, +26 @@

  We have the option of eiher run a separate comment thread for each translation of each document,
or run it as a unified commentary, i.e. we can run a separate comment thread for the English
and the French version of mod_lua.html or we can have them both display the same comments
- this has yet to be decided.

  === Moderating comments ===
- Comments will be moderated by appointed moderators. Currently, for our test run, we have
Rich Bowen, Igor Galic and Daniel Gruno as moderators, but more can be added. The moderator
control panel is available through http://httpd.disqus.com Upon the arrival of new comments,
these moderators will be notified via email that a new comment has been added, and can review
it and select appropriate actions towards it.
+ Comments will be moderated by appointed moderators. Currently, for our test run, we have
Rich Bowen, Igor Galic and Daniel Gruno as moderators, but more can be added. Upon the arrival
of new comments, these moderators will be notified via email that a new comment has been added,
and can review it and select appropriate actions towards it.

- Comments that have links in them, or comments that have an image attached WILL NOT be shown
unless they have been approved by a moderator. This feature can be extended to include all
comments, and we also have the option of requiring that people have registered with Disqus
before they can comment.
+ Comments that have links in them WILL NOT be shown unless they have been approved by a moderator.
This feature can be extended to include all comments, and we also have the option of requiring
that people have registered with the system before they can comment.
+
+ If anyone wants to be a moderator for the test run, do speak up. If/when this migrates to
infra, the current plan is to make all Apache committers moderators and manage this through
LDAP. More info will follow as it becomes available.

  === Comments in offline documents ===
  For security reasons, user friendliness and other browser quirkiness issues, the comments
will not be available for viewing when viewing the documentation from any other place than
httpd.a.o.

  === Comment Exports ===
- Discus supports an XML export of comments. We need to decide whether we want to do exports
and if so, where to store the data. Primary reason for regular exports could be to save the
content in case that the discus service is stopped.
+ The comment system supports an XML export of comments (which can be found [[http://c.apaste.info/export.lua?site=httpd|here]]).
We need to decide whether we want to do exports and if so, where to store the data. Primary
reason for regular exports could be to save the content in case that the service is discontinued
or if/when we need to move to the Infra server instead.

  == Questions for further discussion ==
   * Should translations have their own separate discussion threads, or should they show the
same thread as the English version?
   * If this is adopted to other branches, should 2.4 and trunk (and possibly 2.2) be linked,
or should each branch have a separate discussion per subject?
   * Should we do regular XML exports of the discussion, and if so, where should we store
it?
-  * Who will moderate, and how will new moderators be picked?
+  * Who will moderate, and how will new moderators be picked? (If this moves to infra, then
all Apache committers will likely be moderators, and people can then sign up to receive notifications
on a per-project basis)
   * Which approach to moderating the discussions would be best? For instance, should we approve
all comments before they are shown, and who should be allowed to comment?