httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "DocsAnalyticsProposal" by DanielGruno
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 18:13:10 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "DocsAnalyticsProposal" page has been changed by DanielGruno:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DocsAnalyticsProposal?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

  = Proposal to add an analytics tool to the documentation site =
-
  == Introduction ==
  This document describes a proposal for adding analytics to the Apache HTTP Server Documentation
website. It is intended as both a proposal and a call for suggestions, comments and critique.
Feel free to edit or add anything that you feel would further the discussion.

  == Motivation ==
+ I (Daniel/humbedooh) have been wondering for some time now, how we can improve the site
to give the users a better experience and a faster flow from question to answer. In that search,
the question of doing a proper facts-based analysis keeps popping up.
- I've been wondering for some time now, how we can improve the site to
- give the users a better experience and a faster flow from question to
- answer. In that search, the question of doing a proper facts-based
- analysis keeps popping up.

+ What I would essentially like is to be able to look at the flow that happens from when a
users has a problem till he/she finds a solution in our documentation (or on our IRC channel
or mailing list). We should, as documentation writers, have some idea of whether our efforts
are fruitful or not, and whether we can improve pages A, B or C to make it easier for users
to search for an answer and find it, but without some form of log files or analytics tool,
this becomes quite hard, if not impossible.
- What I would essentially like is to be able to look at the flow that
- happens from when a users has a problem till he/she finds a solution
- in our documentation (or on our IRC channel or mailing list). We
- should, as documentation writers, have some idea of whether our
- efforts are fruitful or not, and whether we can improve pages A, B or
- C to make it easier for users to search for an answer and find it, but
- without some form of log files or analytics tool, this becomes quite
- hard, if not impossible.

+ I would therefore like to propose that we implement some form of anonymous analysis snippet
on our documentation, so that we can figure out some facts:
- I would therefore like to propose that we implement some form of
- anonymous analysis snippet on our documentation, so that we can figure
- out some facts:

-  *What are users generally searching for when they wind up on our pages?
+  * What are users generally searching for when they wind up on our pages?
-  *Which flow of content occurs when a user browses through the docs, looking for answers
to problem A, B or C? Do they go through the guide as we intended for them to do, or do they
pick a different path, and if so, why?
+  * Which flow of content occurs when a user browses through the docs, looking for answers
to problem A, B or C? Do they go through the guide as we intended for them to do, or do they
pick a different path, and if so, why?
-  *What are people generally reading about? Which pages are the most popular, and which are
almost never touched (and does this reflect our own ideas of which pages are the most useful
in various scenarios)?
+  * What are people generally reading about? Which pages are the most popular, and which
are almost never touched (and does this reflect our own ideas of which pages are the most
useful in various scenarios)?

+ I believe that if we had these facts sorted out, we could more easily work towards improving
our documentation and help people reach the answers to their questions faster.
- I believe that if we had these facts sorted out, we could more easily
- work towards improving our documentation and help people reach the
- answers to their questions faster.
-

  == Privacy ==
+ A privacy policy draft has been made, based on the generic privacy policy used by,  among
others, the Lucene and Directory projects, which can be found at  http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/PrivacyPolicy
- I have made a draft for a privacy policy (based on the generic privacy policy used by,
- among others, the Lucene and Directory projects), which can be found at
- http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/PrivacyPolicy

- This policy would then be linked to at the bottom of each page incorporated in the analysis.
+ This policy would be linked to at the bottom of each page incorporated in the analysis.

  == Requirements ==
  The analytics tools we ultimately decide on should have at least the following solutions/tools:

+  * Path view
-  *Path view (f.x. users start at page A, then move to page B, then end at C)
+   * f.x. users start at page A, then move to page B, then end at C.
-  *Number of daily visitors based on origin (direct, search engine referal, web site referal)
-  *Referals (searches, links from other web sites, internal links)
+   * How do people find their way to page XYZ? How often do they get there through our indexes
(are our index pages working as intended?), and how often do they get there by searching for
it on the web?<<BR>>
+  * Number of daily visitors based on origin:
+   * direct hits
+   * search engine referals
+   * web site referals<<BR>>
+  * Referal information:
+   * Search terms used
+   * Links from other web sites
+   * Links from internal pages (other documents)<<BR>>
-  *Number of visitors per page (so we can see which pages are attracting visitors and which
are not)
+  * Number of visitors per page (so we can see which pages are attracting visitors and which
are not)
-

  == Suggested analytics tools ==
-
-  *[[http://www.google.com/analytics|Google Analytics]] (as used by other Apache projects)
+  * [[http://www.google.com/analytics|Google Analytics]] (as used by other Apache projects)
-  *[[http://piwik.org|Piwik]] (This would have to be managed by infra)
+  * [[http://piwik.org|Piwik]] (This would have to be managed by infra)
-  *[[http://www.getclicky.com|Clicky]] (Does anyone have experience with this?)
+  * [[http://www.getclicky.com|Clicky]] (Does anyone have experience with this?)
-

  == Questions ==
+ === Should such an analysis be extended to the main site as well? ===
+ ''-'' Can anyone think of what use we would have of also analysing the main site?

+ === What would be the policy for granting access to the analytics data? ===
+ - PMC? Committers? Anyone who cares?
-  *Should such an analysis be extended to the main site as well?
-  *What is the policy for granting access to the GA site? (PMC? Committers? Anyone who cares?)
-  *Add more questions here

+ ''- ''If the privacy policy were to be adopted as is, it would probably restrict us to only
allowing committers or PMC.
+
+ === Add more questions here ===
+