httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "DocsAnalyticsProposal" by DanielGruno
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 16:41:23 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "DocsAnalyticsProposal" page has been changed by DanielGruno:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DocsAnalyticsProposal

New page:
= Proposal to add an analytics tool to the documentation site =

== Introduction ==
This document describes a proposal for adding analytics to the Apache HTTP Server Documentation
website. It is intended as both a proposal and a call for suggestions, comments and critique.
Feel free to edit or add anything that you feel would further the discussion.

== Motivation ==
I've been wondering for some time now, how we can improve the site to
give the users a better experience and a faster flow from question to
answer. In that search, the question of doing a proper facts-based
analysis keeps popping up.

What I would essentially like is to be able to look at the flow that
happens from when a users has a problem till he/she finds a solution
in our documentation (or on our IRC channel or mailing list). We
should, as documentation writers, have some idea of whether our
efforts are fruitful or not, and whether we can improve pages A, B or
C to make it easier for users to search for an answer and find it, but
without some form of log files or analytics tool, this becomes quite
hard, if not impossible.

I would therefore like to propose that we implement some form of
anonymous analysis snippet on our documentation, so that we can figure
out some facts:

 *What are users generally searching for when they wind up on our pages?
 *Which flow of content occurs when a user browses through the docs, looking for answers to
problem A, B or C? Do they go through the guide as we intended for them to do, or do they
pick a different path, and if so, why?
 *What are people generally reading about? Which pages are the most popular, and which are
almost never touched (and does this reflect our own ideas of which pages are the most useful
in various scenarios)?

I believe that if we had these facts sorted out, we could more easily
work towards improving our documentation and help people reach the
answers to their questions faster.

== Privacy ==
I have made a draft for a privacy policy (based on the generic privacy policy used by,
among others, the Lucene and Directory projects), which can be found at
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/PrivacyPolicy

This policy would then be linked to at the bottom of each page incorporated in the analysis.

== Requirements ==
The analytics tools we ultimately decide on should have at least the following solutions/tools:

 *Path view (f.x. users start at page A, then move to page B, then end at C)
 *Number of daily visitors based on origin (direct, search engine referal, web site referal)
 *Referals (searches, links from other web sites, internal links)
 *Number of visitors per page (so we can see which pages are attracting visitors and which
are not)

== Suggested analytics tools ==

 *[[http://www.google.com/analytics|Google Analytics]] (as used by other Apache projects)
 *[[http://piwik.org|Piwik]] (This would have to be managed by infra)
 *[[http://www.getclicky.com|Clicky]] (Does anyone have experience with this?)

== Questions ==

 *Should such an analysis be extended to the main site as well?
 *Add more questions here