httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "DocsCommentSystem" by DanielGruno
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 13:09:25 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "DocsCommentSystem" page has been changed by DanielGruno:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DocsCommentSystem

New page:
= Documentation commentary system =
This document describes the proposed changes to the Apache HTTP Server documentation, in which
a commentary system will be added, thus enabling people to comment on (almost) every page
in the documentation.

== Proposed solution ==
The currently proposed solution is to use the Disqus comment system ( http://www.disqus.com
), as it is a mature system with plenty of moderation options, and it would allow us to make
use of commentary without having to develop a new system in-house.

=== Technology ===
The comments are added using a JavaScript snippet at the bottom of each page. Furthermore,
a new section, called "Comments" will be added to the bottom of each affected page. This section
is already ready for most translations, as it uses the build system's locale feature for setting
the title of the section. As this will be incorporated directly into the XSL documents, there
will be no need for documenters to add anything new to any page, it will happen automatically
with each affected page.

=== Which pages can be commented ===
The comment system will be available for all how-to guides and module pages. All index pages,
quick references and the likes will not have the comment system attached to them. Furthermore,
the comment system will not be available in the CHM or zipped versions (WAR?) of the documentation.

=== Languages ===
We have the option of eiher run a separate comment thread for each translation of each document,
or run it as a unified commentary, i.e. we can run a separate comment thread for the English
and the French version of mod_lua.html or we can have them both display the same comments
- this has yet to be decided.

=== Moderating comments ===
Comments will be moderated by appointed moderators. Currently, for our test run, we have Rich
Bowen, Igor Galic and Daniel Gruno as moderators, but more can be added. The moderator control
panel is available through http://httpd.disqus.com Upon the arrival of new comments, these
moderators will be notified via email that a new comment has been added, and can review it
and select appropriate actions towards it.

Comments that have links in them, or comments that have an image attached WILL NOT be shown
unless they have been approved by a moderator. This feature can be extended to include all
comments, and we also have the option of requiring that people have registered with Disqus
before they can comment.

=== Comments in offline documents ===
For security reasons, user friendliness and other browser quirkiness issues, the comments
will not be available for viewing when viewing the documentation from any other place than
httpd.a.o.