httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal to move docs to Apache CMS
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 22:06:17 GMT
Mads Toftum wrote on Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:26:41PM +0200:
> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:07:12PM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > Ok, thanks to Tony for hand-holding me a little more through an explanation of how
this would work in practice.

> > I feel that I was responding with inadequate understanding.
> >
> > So, I'm now firmly +1 on moving the docs to the Apache CMS. There are still parts
of the process that are somewhat unclear to me, but we can work that out as we go along, I
think.

> I'll stick with my firmly -1 for the time being.
> Let's get the website into the CMS first, then we can start considering
> whether that new workflow is workable.
> Let's not forget that you're in the middle of several other disruptive
> projects too - php docs style comments and the carnival colors.
> I think the comments will likely be a spam magnet, but casual
> contributions would be well covered by that. Making them 0 effort to
> submit.
> The CMS is a complex beast (yeah, I do know something about it)

It does not have to be Mads. In its simple form it is a WYSIWYG editor, and review page before
publishing.  Actually, committers can still commit via svn, as they do now.

>  and
> we're currently doing a lot with our docs that do not map well into the
> CMS. I can fully understand why Joe wants to expand the capabilities of
> the CMS,

To be clear this is not a capabilities expansion it is a get another site using the CMS, so
they can see how simple it is.  If any docs committer is also an ASF member they can edit
the main www.a.o site, and then publish it.  It actually takes away all the pain of fart arsing
about with anakia, ant and all that nonsense.  Why not let the CMS do the heavy lifting when
it comes to running the build tasks?  It could conceivably still create a docs tarball that
the RM could grab to be bundled into the release tarball.

> but it's going to be a major effort both on the infra side and
> on our (looking in the general direction of nd) side to make the docs
> fit. All for a minimal gain. Once you've looked at the file format a
> couple of times, the current files are pretty darn easy to edit and any
> clicking around in the cms will take just as long or longer.

Have you used the CMS yet?  Aside from the first time you use it, and it sets up your WC of
the site in question is smooth, simple and by far a much lower barrier for casual commits.

> Given that
> you're already planning to solve 0-effort contributions, I don't see the
> gain in changing the toolset. We'd still have a committer requirement
> for using the CMS, so it's not opening up for wider contributions
> anyway.

That isn't the aim, AFAICT.

> vh
>
> Mads Toftum