httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: Proposal to move docs to Apache CMS
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 21:26:41 GMT
On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:07:12PM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Ok, thanks to Tony for hand-holding me a little more through an explanation of how this
would work in practice.

> I feel that I was responding with inadequate understanding.
>
> So, I'm now firmly +1 on moving the docs to the Apache CMS. There are still parts of
the process that are somewhat unclear to me, but we can work that out as we go along, I think.

I'll stick with my firmly -1 for the time being.
Let's get the website into the CMS first, then we can start considering
whether that new workflow is workable.
Let's not forget that you're in the middle of several other disruptive
projects too - php docs style comments and the carnival colors.
I think the comments will likely be a spam magnet, but casual
contributions would be well covered by that. Making them 0 effort to
submit.
The CMS is a complex beast (yeah, I do know something about it) and
we're currently doing a lot with our docs that do not map well into the
CMS. I can fully understand why Joe wants to expand the capabilities of
the CMS, but it's going to be a major effort both on the infra side and
on our (looking in the general direction of nd) side to make the docs
fit. All for a minimal gain. Once you've looked at the file format a
couple of times, the current files are pretty darn easy to edit and any
clicking around in the cms will take just as long or longer. Given that
you're already planning to solve 0-effort contributions, I don't see the
gain in changing the toolset. We'd still have a committer requirement
for using the CMS, so it's not opening up for wider contributions
anyway.

vh

Mads Toftum
--