httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal to move docs to Apache CMS
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 21:58:25 GMT
Daniel Gruno wrote on Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:53:48PM +0200:
> On 02-05-2012 23:40, André Malo wrote:
> >
> > More thoughts on this (unsorted):
> >
> > - Also it's a nice thing to check in documentation together with code. From
> >   time to time patches arrive that way. In fact, I'd rather support more of
> >   those.
> >
> > - Oh, patches. How does the CMS deal with those in general? Do I need to
> >   apply them manually then in a browser window?
> >
> > - Which leads to the next point: I've never used the CMS. How does it play
> >   together with my own editor?
> >
> > - How does the CMS play along with the other build targets (CHM, tarball). I
> >   guess, it does not at all (CHM needs windows in very specific
> >   configurations). So we still need a separate build system then?
> >
> > - How does the CMS handle the build output? (e.g. ./build.sh de emits the
> >   outdated de-translations at the end)
> >
> > nd
> >
> > [1] *Sigh* I'm wondering, why so many people here don't know about OUR
> >     docs-project pages.
> >
> > [2] Not everybody needs to run the build system (some people don't even have
> >     java on their box). Someone else will run it then at the next
> >     opportunity. In fact, it's encouraged that you run it only on languages
> >     you understand enough.
> >

> I do have some similar concerns that I would like to get addressed
> before I can form an actual opinion about moving to a CMS system:
>
> 1) What happens if (or rather when) a build fails? Will there be a
> notification of sorts to some mailing list? As I recall, in our current
> build system, documents are first deleted, then attempted rebuilt, thus
> when a build fails, it leaves us without the .html.en page - would that
> simply make the page 404'ed on our site, and subsequently, would it
> delete it from the svn repo?

It is two stage.  You first review in staging, if you "like what you see" - i.e. review the
build, then you publish it. If you choose to do this without a review of the output, then
clearly this is a risk you elect to take.

> 2) How is an online edit recorded? When I edit something online, does it
> register as an SVN commit what I do, or does it just magically update
> itself out of thin air? And what about rebuilds, would they be counted
> as a separate commit or how would that fit in? And can I add a log entry
> to my edit?

The whoel CMS is built around SVN, ultimately all changes are revisions, and ad such auditable,
revertable etc.  Please dont think of the CMS as a traditional browser only based tool.  You
*could* operate entirely in a shell if you so chose.

> What I guess it boils down to is this: I'd really, really like for some
> "trunk-trunk" where we could see how this system actually works, before
> I can make up my mind. Would this be possible to do?
>
> And finally, slightly off-topic, I would like to thank André for his
> efforts in rebuilding and fixing up props when the rest of us
> narrow-minded people neglect to do so - your attention to details is
> commendable. Maybe, similar to the proposed clone_drbacchus() function,
> we can add one for you as well :) (get working on the code already, wrowe!)
>
> With regards,
> Daniel.

Cheers,
Tony