httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Comments in docs
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 01:02:13 GMT

On May 3, 2012, at 8:13 PM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Is it possible to integrate different languages? (And how do we moderate
>>> those?)
>>>

>> I expect people can post in any language. We can then use google translate
>> to moderate them. That usually works well enough to understand the intent.
>
> The best way to ensure that one has a useful Google translation is to substitute to the
intended language, then translate back from the intended to the original language.  If the
idea translated back out is close to the intended statement, it's probably fine.  If not,
there will likely be major communications issues, and should be reworded.

> To put this in practice while writing documentation comments, perhaps have a secondary
window/iframe/whatever that shows the output of translating xx -> en -> xx.  When the
writer accepts it, save/post both the original xx and the en transform.

The comments are not part of the documentation. They are comments. They may eventually result
in changes to the documentation, but as a comment, they serve merely to start the conversation.
That's why I thought that, in this context, an exact and grammatical translation wasn't critical.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen