httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Doing the main site first (was Re: Proposal to move docs to Apache CMS)
Date Sat, 05 May 2012 15:02:28 GMT
Speaking with Daniel on IRC this morning convinced
me that pushing for docs CMS adoption at this point
remains a hard sell.  We both agreed that migrating
the main site first to the CMS would be better for all
concerned, so let's go that route for now and come back
to docs once everyone has had a chance to play with
the CMS on a production site that they actually care about.

Since the site is a standard Anakia thingy, we have
migration tools that will convert the xml to markdown,
and I talked Daniel into coming up with a simple django
template for the site.  That means we can use the CMS's
standard perl build stuff instead of the largeish collection
of java utils that generate the html- its a whole lot
simpler and faster in practice once the docs have been
migrated.

We can leave any .html and .txt documents as-is, they
won't be changed by the build.   Another thing I'd like
to see us do is move the download.cgi script out of the
doctree and into a separate cgi-bin/ dir, just so we can
actually practice what we preach ;-).  The CMS fully
supports that.

Anyhow if we can find consensus on this plan we can take
this back to dev@ and look for general approval.

Thoughts?