On Apr 10, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Igor Galić wrote:

As I mentioned in my last mail, this:

 http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/

is terribly uninviting for several reasons.

Agreed. I'd like to see it arranged more invitingly, but my attempts to do so haven't been very successful, possibly because I've been staring at this arrangement for a decade and know where everything is.

The separation in several sub-sections is a good thing,
but the presentation in alphabetical order is bad.

The middle section especially should be ordered in a
way which follows a a certain progress.

I wonder if we might arrange things into audiences. Casual users (eg, folks with a web host), server admins, developers.

"Other Topics" is almost completely useless, in
particular "Other Notes", which duplicates a couple
of links, we no fresh content other than a warning
that the linked content may be outdated.

Yeah, "Other" tends to mean "I don't know where to put this", and we need to come up with an organization that eliminates that ambiguity.

I'd maybe go as far as replacing the license link with
 http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html

+1.

Anyway, I'd like to discuss (or maybe just decide ;)
how we can represent the existing content better.
I'm not trying to force out any howto, intro or other
stuff which some of our users might want..

We have several distinct audiences that we cater to, and they tend to want their information in different ways. I hesitate to call them beginner, intermediate, and advanced, but that's kind of the structure that stuff might fit into. You mentioned possibly a "where do I start" document, and that's actually been requested numerous times over the years, and derailed in the discussion of what's in scope.

Let's hear some other suggestions of arrangement of this content.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen