httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: A review of SSL docs WAS Re: A proposal from Symantec for cleaning up the SSL-related documentation for Apache's HTTPD
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:29:23 GMT

----- Original Message -----

> On Apr 4, 2012, at 7:42 PM, Mads Toftum wrote:
>

> I think some of the assertions come from people who don't
> appreciate his style of writing - much of his original mod_rewrite
> documentation got butchered on a similar background.
>

> Yep. Our users are just begging for the good old days when the
> documentation started with a warning that they were about to be
> dreadfully confused, and then proceeded to call them silly for
> wanting it to do useful things. Ah, nostalgia.

Judging from the feedback on on Sander's poll, as well as
from recent experience on #httpd, people expect our docs to
be so bad or useless that they don't even bother looking,
and just ask for a howto.

Now, I'm not a big fan of howtos, or rather, for what generally
passes as howtos. But it would be really nice if our docs
covered the basic use-cases.

Much of that is already happening. One of the things were
I see room for improvement is

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/

The separation of topics is good, but they are sorted
alphabetically, which is not very useful.

A glaringly obvious gap is a soft-intro.

*) I'm an aspiring systems administrator, I've never run
a web server. Where do I start?

*) I know what a web server is, but I've never touched
Apache httpd, how do I get started?

*) I'm a PHP/Perl/Ruby/Python hacker. What do I need to
do to setup an environment like my admins will be running

oh, and maybe, fitting to the subject line:

*) How do I actually secure my site with HTTPS?

> --
> Rich Bowen
> rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen
> rbowen@apache.org