httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Tim Snyder" <tsny...@gsscomputer.com>
Subject RE: A proposal from Symantec for cleaning up the SSL-related documentation for Apache's HTTPD
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:51:12 GMT
Hello Rich,

            I am not sure how I have been listed in the email strings
regarding Apache and your group. I have no idea how to respectfully remove
myself from future mail threads. Can you help please?

Regards,

Tim T Snyder

GSS Computer Technology

(540) 362-7686

  _____

From: Rich Bowen [mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:39 AM
To: docs@httpd.apache.org
Cc: Richard Bowen; Igor Galic (i.galic@brainsware.org); William Rowe
(wrowe@apache.org); Daniel Gruno (rumble@cord.dk); Eric Covener
(covener@gmail.com); Rainer Jung (rainer.jung@kippdata.de); Jeff Barto;
Elizabeth Carlassare; Frank Agurto-Machado; Martin Thurmann
Subject: Re: A proposal from Symantec for cleaning up the SSL-related
documentation for Apache's HTTPD

Geoffrey,

Thanks once again for your generous offer. As the author of every one of
those comments you quote below, I feel that I should probably respond. All
the ignorance expressed in those quotes is *mine*. However, the desire for
better docs is pretty universal on this list.

I would be glad to speak with you on the phone, but I can also tell you now
what I will tell you on the phone. Apache httpd (and the ASF in general) is
a do-ocracy, as one of our directors once said. So, yes, please, we would
love to see your documentation contributions, and would gladly incorporate
them into the docs. But the way to get that done is to just do it.

You have thus far sent us a couple of docs that were really good stuff, but
were either not httpd-related, or were at a technical level above my ability
to review and do the work of incorporating.

Here's what I'd like to see happen, personally.

* A review of the existing SSL sub-tree
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/ssl/) for both content and structure,
and a recommendation of how it could be better structures (ie, a T.O.C. for
that subtree)

* Prose for the various "chapters" in that section.

I would be delighted to assist with the process of getting those chapters
into correct XML format, although I expect that the examples of what's
already there would be a pretty good introduction to how to do that. But,
since I'm almost entirely ignorant of anything past the basics of creating
certificates and configuring httpd to use them, I can't actually rework
*content*. Other folks on the docs team would need to speak for themselves.

Each of the people you have CC'ed on this mailing got started on the
documentation by just doing it. I found something lacking in the docs and
sent changed prose for that section and someone committed it. Eventually I
was given commit rights to make those changes myself. William and Eric, at
different times, stepped up to be the project management committee chair, by
just doing it. Igor and Daniel, like myself, found parts of the
documentation lacking, and they stepped up to change them.

So my response to your offer is, and has been each time you've made it, a
resounding "Yes, please!" But I remain a little confused as to what you
envision coming out of a phone call. There is no you and us. There's just
us. We want you to be part of us. Please come join the party.

Awesome. Now that you're one of us, there's no "us" to reject or accept
"your" contribution. There's just us. Welcome to the documentation team.

Meanwhile, I've accepted your meeting invitation, and would be glad to speak
to you at that time, or sooner (I sent you my personal phone number a week
or two ago) if you prefer. I want to enable you to become part of the team,
rather than a third party sending us changes. But to rephrase what William
said, it would be the individuals on your team who would be part of the docs
team, not Symantec.