httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Retiring translations
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 07:44:54 GMT
On 3/28/2012 10:29 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose that we retire (ie, svn delete) translations in 2.4 that are
more than, say, 2 years out of date, as they assuredly don't reflect the current state of
things, and do a disservice to our customers. Leaving them in trunk seems harmless, but having
them in a released product is misleading.

>> I haven't yet done the actual poking around to determine which translations that
would be, but I'd suspect .ja, .ko, .es and .de?

>> Or we could be more selective, and get rid of translations of things (authnz, logging,
proxy) that we know for certain has radically changed in the last few years, while leaving
things like the index files that may still be worthwhile.

> I'd prefer that we add CSS with an age-based discoloration of the page
> and associated watermark, but I have no time to find the right CSS.

Along those lines, if we set out a roadmap for retiring "abandoned"
translations after "X" months (could be one more year), and highlighted
these on the http://httpd.apache.org/ main website for garbage collection
unless volunteers step forward, maybe some stale translations might find
some translators?