httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Syntax Highlighting
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:04:11 GMT

On Apr 24, 2012, at 7:31 AM, Daniel Gruno wrote:

> After some fruitful discussions on IRC yesterday, I have tried out
> various ways of making syntax highlighting available for our
> documentation, and I've come across a method of doing so using
> JavaScript. The results seem to be very good, and before everybody runs
> away screaming because I mentioned the evil J-word, bear in mind that
> although this method requires a small fraction of a second to properly
> display the colors in your browser, it has the advantage of much smaller
> page sizes on our side, as we won't need to pre-pack our documents with
> a thousand class tags within each example source code.
>
> I have put up a test of highlighting using JS at
> http://www.humbedooh.com/apache/modguide.html.en which displays a
> similar result to what is achieved using the manual highlighting I have
> previously been using, with the added benefit of smaller size AND no
> more complaining from the build system that the XML is invalid, provided
> we adopt the following changes:
>
> 1) Modify common.dtd to allow classes inside <pre> tags
> 2) Modify common.xsl to include the style sheet and scripts used for
> highlighting the source code examples in our documentation.
>
> To create syntax highlighted source code examples, the only requirement
> would be that you use the following syntax:
>
> <pre class="sh_c">
> code_goes_here(foo);
> </pre>

A great big +1 to this in concept. At the very least, worth experimenting with in trunk. However,
remember that the build stuff is the same in all branches, so changes affect everywhere.

What other languages are available for syntax coloring? Trying to remember what other examples
we might have in the docs. Perl, I expect.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen