httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch>
Subject Re: Error documentation, more thoughts
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:31:51 GMT
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I wanted to share this transcript from IRC, just to see what people think of the idea.
> [10:15]  <DrBacchus> It would be nice (this is just wishful thinking) if when a
AHxxxx code is created, there was a piece of documentation that was created along with it
listing a more detailed explanation of what the message is supposed to mean, which could then
be incorportaed into the documentation
> [10:15]  <DrBacchus> Imagine, for example, that each module had an errors.xml file
that lived in the same directory.
> [10:15]  <DrBacchus> mod_rewrite_errors.xml or whatever.
> [10:16]  <DrBacchus> And that was parsed in some way to create documentation.
> [10:16]  <DrBacchus> Hmm. This is actually not too far-fetched.
> [10:16]  <DrBacchus> Even if the docs team maintained those files, it would be
a work-saver.
> [10:17]  <DrBacchus> Then we'd have a script that went through and generated docs
XML from the error.xml files, and then that would in turn be turned into an error index list,
and a per-module error documentation file.
> [10:17]  <Humbedooh> DrBacchus, that would be awesome
> [10:17]  <DrBacchus> What do you think of that?
> [10:17]  <DrBacchus> Is this at all feasible?
> [10:17]  <DrBacchus> It would also greatly encourage the module authors to create
docs, because it would be right there when they're working onit.
> [10:18]  <DrBacchus> and if we make it easier, it happens more often.

A doxygen-like comment that resides in the *.c file right above the log
call may be even more easy to edit for developers. There would be a script
that extracts these comments and puts them into xml files in the docs.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message