httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mathijs <mathijs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: error numbers
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 15:09:20 GMT
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2012, at 8:16 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
>
> AFAIR the log tags were motivated by Stefan in order to be able to exactly
> identify a certain message, e.g. when doing a search on a search engine.
> The plan is *not* to reduce to reduce the logging down to the log tag and
> leave module name, message string and all the other nice info out, because
> you could look it up in the docs.
>

> Yes. There were many conversations that led to this. The one I remember
> was at ApacheCon, but I'm sure it's been discussed before.
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood what Mathijs was saying? Anyways, my expectation
> is that the error message itself still remain useful, assuming you know
> what it means. The tag will then be something you'd Google for and find a
> more detailed explanation, in particular with a recipe of how to fix the
> problem.

It was indeed just a starting point, and the intention of such a list would
be that if a user google's for the AHxxxx code, he would arrive on our
wiki, where more explanation can be found (if thats needed). This can be a
simple explanation text, or a link to another article.

I have started a wiki page for this:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/ListOfErrors and will go over some of the odd
results such as empty messages.

The only thing I'm worried about here is about keeping this list up-to-date
with trunk.