httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [proposed] remove docs/1.3/
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:07:46 GMT

On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Tim Bannister wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2012, at 14:57, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
>>> That's what robots.txt is for!  Surely we can use that to stop indexing 2.0 as
well as 1.3?  Maybe even 2.2 once 2.4 is windows-ready and in the distros?

>> The rel canonical thing is a way to actively update the Google index for a particular
page and search term, and has been very effective in updating certain searches. For example,
searching Google for "rewriterule" has long given the 1.3 Rewrite Guide, but within 24 hours
of adding a rel canonical tag, it started pointing to the 2.2 mod_rewrite docs as the top
hit.

> I agree with Nick.
> Why not change http://httpd.apache.org/robots.txt so that the 1.3 documents are no longer
crawled? If I wanted to go through each page to make more fine-grained changes I'd only end
up adding:

> …which does almost exactly the same thing, for more effort.

I'm not getting the value of leaving them there but not letting them be indexed. If they're
there, they should be indexed. If they're not indexed, they might as well not be there at
all.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen