httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <rum...@cord.dk>
Subject Re: Relaxing docs review policy?
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:57:34 GMT
On 28-03-2012 15:36, Rich Bowen wrote:
> It has been mentioned several times that we'd have more translations
> if we'd relax the review policy a little.
>
> I'd like to propose that we loosen it up on trunk, so that the
> translations can at least get into the tree, and then actively solicit
> reviews (on users@, for example) before pushing them into trunk. I
> think that by requiring review of the patches, rather than putting
> them into trunk, we make it unreasonably hard for reviewers to
> actually have a look at them. Whereas if they were in trunk, reviewers
> could look at the rendered docs on the /docs/trunk web site, and we'd
> be more likely to get feedback.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Rich Bowen
> rbowen@rcbowen.com <mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com> :: @rbowen
> rbowen@apache.org <mailto:rbowen@apache.org>
hm, I'd say +1 or +½.
I like the idea that we can "test out" the translations that way, and of
course there would be some form of rudimentary check when it gets pushed
to the trunk, but I'm always a bit skeptical about letting unknown stuff
onto the live server. Having said that, I do feel that the committers on
this project are quite competent and capable of preventing any bad
things from lingering on, so I have some confidence that this could
work, and in the case of someone pushing something awful, it
would/should be spotted pretty quick and fixed. Also, as this is the
trunk, which not that many users look at, it should allow us some
leniency towards making mistakes in it.

With regards,
Daniel.