httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Error documentation, more thoughts
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:23:32 GMT
On 3/15/2012 3:16 PM, Eric Covener wrote:
> I'd just as well add supplementary info to a wiki for the specific
> message IDs that require extra discussion.  I've never been a fan of
> the massive "messages" publication that's 98% the verbatim error text
> phrased three different ways.

I'm actually hoping to start that RSN, as in the next two weeks.

I believe we are at the point where we can introduce a degree of
localization of our error output for non-English-speaking admins,
without breaking ABI in 2.4.

So we would have per-language files for translation (i thought about
combining them, but the modulo in character sets makes this really
sort of unworkable, I know the language snippets in the custom
error document structure can be difficult to maintain).  Our new
error id assignments provide the lookup key.  Missing error text
would receive today's English treatment.

But I can't see an error guide which says;

  AP0000 Error resolving host name, did you forget 'ServerName'?

    This Error indicates httpd could not resolve a host name from dns
    for the configured server ip address.  The ServerName directive
    can be used to work around this dns lookup issue.

Add words, but to what benefit?  The lookup/list, though would be
great if the user quickly wants to find out what AP0000 is in their
own native language, even though the AP0000 message in the bug
report or blog entry was printed in an unfamiliar language.