httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <>
Subject Re: error numbers
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 00:01:10 GMT
On 3/8/2012 12:29 PM, Mathijs wrote:
> I have extracted some info from source that might be useful, somebody
> with more awk/grep/perl fu then me can probably combine it into a
> sensible format:
> (has some dodgy matches but
> at least most strings are there)

These come from source, but isn't it reasonable to assume that the user
got the error number and text when the compiled code threw the error
that is in the source code? I think the community would be better served
by providing supplemental documentation aside from the error string they
already received.

Something along the lines of:
ErrNo: 01961
Proxy is pointed to a backend that starts with scheme "https" but the
SSLProxyEngine has not been enabled. Enabled the SSLProxyEngine by
adding "SSLProxyEngine On" or change "https" to "http" in the
BalancerMember, RewriteRule, ProxyPass or ProxyPassMatch directive.

For a person who has seen the error before, the log entry itself is
succinct enough to be clear, but for someone who hasn't, this more
verbose description should help them zero in on what needs to be changed
for this to work right.

Am I on target with others' expectations? If so, maybe we should take
these two lists and start a catalog of what errors need more information
and which are sufficient as they are.

I laughed out loud when I fatfingered the URL to one of those txt files :-)

Daniel Ruggeri

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message