httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Error documentation, more thoughts
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:13:10 GMT

On Mar 15, 2012, at 2:55 PM, Tim Bannister wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2012, at 12:14, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
>> I really don't want one enormous file
>
> Can you say why not? My preferences (for what it's worth) would either be the one huge
file or the doxygen-like comments. In both cases, patches that change the help for an error
code should still be easy to read and apply.

Hmm. Good question. Why don't I want an enormous file? I think maybe it's because I hate enormous
files, and that's not a very good reason.

Reasons that occur to me are:

* Daunting for translation purposes. (Maybe not?)
* Hard to find what you want - although that's nonsense, because it's indexed by error message
number
* XML parsing gets slower the bigger the file gets. Although this isn't a huge deal, either,

You know, maybe I don't have a good reason. It seemed self-evident, but now that I think about
it ...

Anyone else have a thought on this?

--
Rich Bowen