httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Adding "Docs overhaul" to new_features_2_4
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:23:25 GMT
Having reviewed this document, I have a number of remarks.

1) This appears to be a document about "multi-use SSL certificates", whatever that is. While
useful content, it doesn't appear to be directly relevant to the Apache HTTP Server, or have
a place in the HTTP Server documentation. I think that ideally what we want is information
that's directly useful in configuring the HTTP server.

2) Perhaps this content would be more readily accepted by the folks at openssl.org who are
documenting stuff directly related to the SSL protocol itself. We could then heavily link
to that resource over there.

I'm a bit of a stickler for deciding what the scope of our documentation is, and then not
straying too far outside of that. The scope of our docs is the Apache HTTP Server and how
to configure it. While the theory of SSL itself intersects with configuring mod_ssl, they
are separate topics.

3) After private discussion with various people on the httpd documentation project, I've received
a similar response from many of them, which goes something like this. If you want to participate
in the httpd docs effort, please do. The way to do that is to engage in conversation on the
docs mailing list. While we appreciate document contributions, the best way to get them integrated
into the docs is to discuss it on list, and perhaps even to submit patches.

4) With this specific document, I'm rather concerned about copyright issues. If we incorporate
this in the docs, we'd remove the "sponsored by" stuff, as well as (probably) the "about the
authors" block. These don't really have a place in a document that is being re-released under
the terms of the Apache Software License and will then be subject to the open editing by the
docs project. There are a few places in the docs where individual names are mentioned, and
these are largely historical artifacts. We're not generally in the habit of crediting authors
in a document.

So, having said all of that, I should emphasize that this is one opinion, and there are many
other voices on this mailing list. Which is, at least in part, why I might have come across
as reluctant to discuss this on the phone, outside of the mailing list, and unilaterally declare
the decision of the collective.

On Feb 20, 2012, at 12:55 PM, Geoffrey Noakes wrote:

> ATTENTION: any Apache members who contribute to the SSL-related portions of your HTTPD
documentation.

> Symantec (aka VeriSign SSL, Geotrust, and Thawte) wants to contribute content to the
SSL section.  This will be done in a vendor-neutral, vendor-independent way.  We seek no advantage
here, rather, we want to clear up the misinformation and confusion around how wildcards and
SAN certificates work.

> We are happy to contribute our content for others to incorporate into the Apache documents.
 I have attached the content we provided long ago.  We are happy to work with anyone that
can help us get this content into Apache’s documentation on SSL related to HTTPD.

> Also, we will be at RSA 2012.  We would like to meet with Apache members who are attending
RSA.

I receive from docs@httpd.apache.org about this.
> Thanks..
>
> Geoff
>
> Geoffrey W. Noakes
> Director, Business Development
> Symantec Corporation
> geoffrey_noakes@symantec.com
> +1-415-370-5980

e.g. quite some commits to improve the Rewrite Guide, but I'm sure there is other stuff as
well. Apart from the technical improvements I think we should also highlight the docs improvements,
because IMHO there was much more work done for the docs than when releasing 2.2.