httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Re: error numbers
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:10:20 GMT

On Mar 9, 2012, at 8:16 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:

> AFAIR the log tags were motivated by Stefan in order to be able to exactly identify a
certain message, e.g. when doing a search on a search engine. The plan is *not* to reduce
to reduce the logging down to the log tag and leave module name, message string and all the
other nice info out, because you could look it up in the docs.

Yes. There were many conversations that led to this. The one I remember was at ApacheCon,
but I'm sure it's been discussed before.

Perhaps I misunderstood what Mathijs was saying? Anyways, my expectation is that the error
message itself still remain useful, assuming you know what it means. The tag will then be
something you'd Google for and find a more detailed explanation, in particular with a recipe
of how to fix the problem.

> The primary goal, finding traces of similar log errors in the net should be satisfied
by the tag itself. Using the tags as an index into a more detailed description of log errors
is fine, but we won't be able to do it for most messages - there are to many.
> I wonder whether such info would fit into the wiki?

On the one hand, I don't agree that there are too many. There are no space limits on the Internet.

On the other hand, I don't expect that most of them will need any further detail. There's
only one way to interpret "AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/asdf",
right? But the ones that require more explanation would have more than just the plain error
message, but would have a more detailed explanation of what to do about it. Sort of what we
already started doing on the wiki, but with a more useful lookup code.

Rich Bowen :: @rbowen

View raw message