httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [proposed] remove docs/1.3/
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:00:06 GMT
On 2/26/2012 2:11 PM, André Malo wrote:
> * William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> On 2/25/2012 10:09 AM, minfrin@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: minfrin
>>> Date: Sat Feb 25 16:09:03 2012
>>> New Revision: 1293634

>>> Log:
>>> The current version of the server is v2.4.
>>>
>>> Modified:
>>>     httpd/httpd/branches/1.3.x/htdocs/manual/misc/header.html
>>
>> Ok folks, it's been a "few years"... over 10, in fact, that 1.3 has
>> been dead.
>>
>> Doesn't it seem overtime to take down 1.3 docs from the site, altogether?
>
> Why?

Because 1.3 code and docs are no longer maintained.  Because 1.3 docs
shipped in the tarball, they got the whole deal when they downloaded it.

By continuing to publish something out-of-date, we imply to users that
there is some support of that software that does not in fact exist IMHO.
Serving out-of-date docs is a disservice to our users.  I agree that
anyone hitting a 1.3/ URL should be redirected to a pointer that they
need to re-obtain the tarball and use the embedded docs shipped with
httpd 1.3.42.