httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Lucien Gentis <lucien.gen...@univ-lorraine.fr>
Subject Re: Translations
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:37:49 GMT

Le 22 févr. 2012 à 03:59, <info@cheapwebhosting.net> <info@cheapwebhosting.net>
a écrit :

> Translations are always going to be in short supply. Some friends and I have done translations
work for W3 and others.
> I think there will always be a discussion around volume vs. quality.
> I think my question has always been, which documents are most critical at this point,
and which languages--since usage doesnt always determine demand. E.g. Although the Dutch speaking
group are probably big users, they have one of the highest English speaking populations outside
the US, so they probably wouldn't benefit as much as Spanish speaking population (which also
happens to be spoken by a lot more countries.

> Aaron Hill
> aaronhill99@gmail.com
>

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:14:14 -0200, Eduardo Pereira <du.pereira@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> I've done some pt-BR translations, and in my opinion, some parts of
>> the documents are very technical and tricky, and need to be translated
>> carefully, to be more exact, the terms, keywords, and things like
>> that.
>>
>> But for me the hardest part is to find people willing to help revise.
>> For almost 10 years I've been into this group, I've only had help once
>> with the translations, and only for a short period of time.
>>
>> What would really help is to work with more than two people, this
>> would make things go faster and give more encouragement.
>>
>> I guess we needed more exposure, or better propaganda to gather more
>> help. There are so many people out there using Apache around the world
>> that could help, they just don't know it!
>>
>> Another important point is that the environment is hard to use, all
>> that version control commands, and XML editing is hard for people who
>> just want to translate. A Wiki-like web interface would make things so
>> much easier, or maybe a web-based forum with easier access. This would
>> allow people to edit the documents without having knowledge of all
>> those "geek" commands. LOL. I love this email-based list, but I think
>> most people are not familiar with it.
>>
>> Le Feb 21, 2012 à 19:32, Rich Bowen a écrit :
>>
>> Last week I was at Duke, and one of the folks there was a student
>> whose professor had encouraged her to get involved in Open Source by
>> translating the Apache httpd docs into Spanish. I encouraged her to
>> get on the list and get started, and gave her some starting info.
>>
>> This got me thinking - what can we do to encourage people to help out
>> with translation?
>>
>> Those who have done some translation - what do we do that makes it
>> hard? What could we make easier?
>>
>> Our translations in the 2.4 release are pretty far out of date in
>> almost every language. It might even be time to drop some of them
>> entirely because of how far out of date they are.
>>
>> --
>> Rich Bowen
>> rbowen@rcbowen.com [1] :: @rbowen
>> rbowen@apache.org [2]
>>

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com
>> [2] mailto:rbowen@apache.org

Hi all Doc folks,

Rich, I don't think you make it hard at all ; it's a hard work in itself, particularly in
the beginning when nothing is translated, the volume of work to do can be discouraging.
It's a question of will.

Like Eduardo says, most people who could do this job don't know there's a need for it. How
about one or two lines like "Want to translate documentation ? See here" added to the "It
works !" page and/or "http://httpd.apache.org/docs/" page ?
Also, I think "Getting started" section of "http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/translations.html"
page is a bit disappointing for those who don't know about svn or how to start with the whole
documentation translation, and particularly maintain it up to date.
I can submit to you a doc about how I proceed.

About 2.4 branch : since yet, I only worked on 2.2 and trunk branches.
So are there already differences between trunk and 2.4 *.xml files ?
If not, could we simply copy and commit our up to date trunk *.xml.?? files into 2.4 branch
?

Lucien

Lucien Gentis
SIRET