httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject [discuss] http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/UnderstandingMultiUseSSLCertificates
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 04:56:05 GMT
The current wiki page does need some edits to bring the terms and
language in line with Apache/mod_ssl/OpenSSL conventions.  Although
multi-use has a broader meaning, several of these would be examples
of multi-host certificates.  We want this to be legible to someone
who is nominally familiar with the virtualhost section of the how
to guide in the documentation.

Another observation, the doc should mention SNI if we don't already
discuss it in general.  We can keep it succinct for now since clients
have not yet widely adopted it, and many administrators will avoid
it for the time being.

It should also point out the browser quirks in *.foo.com between
different clients, e.g. those which allow website.en.foo.com and
those which don't (where * can't map to >1 segment).

Finally, should we use example.com rather than a real domain name
intersection, here?

[OT: There is no 'discuss' page on our wiki.  Should we implement
that if our wiki supports it, or does that all belong here?]