httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Error codes
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:21:43 GMT
On Monday 28 November 2011, Rich Bowen wrote:
> 1) Create file in svn that lists sequential error codes so that we
> know what the next number is. The file should list error code and
> the file in which it is used. Should probably also list line
> number, although that changes over time, so it's approximate.

The file names and line numbers can easily be extracted by a script (I
am volunteering to write it), no need to track these manually.

> 2) Find all calls to *_log_?error (Stefan says there's 2700+ such
> calls!) and add the next error code to the beginning of the
> message. In parens, perhaps?. Update the file in #1.

I would prefer "AH1234: Don't panic". It's one character shorter than
"(AH1234) Don't panic" and horizontal screen space is always short
when viewing the error log.

A question on procedure: Do you want to add all error codes at once
and then fill in the descriptions or add the error codes as the
documentation evolves? If the former, some scripting would probably
save a lot of work, too.

I am not sure that every debug message needs a code, maybe one could
at first only tag those of level info or higher? Or maybe even
warning?