httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: modules.apache.org data
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:21:29 GMT

On Jul 11, 2011, at 1:12 PM, Lee Fisher wrote:

> On 7/11/11 6:28 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > So ... Where are we on this? Has anybody put any time into it yet?
> > Where could someone jump in?
>
> I've spent a few hours trying to make sense of the data.
>
> It'd help to know what the resulting goal is.
>
> The tarball includes php source, a .SQL file from MySQL. The .SQL file contians a few
tables, the one interesting table of modules (including two password fields). There are also
tables for that appear to be more related to tracking logins, including a nice chunk of spam.

> I've started manually converted the .SQL file into an .XML file. But it's not ready for
use yet, there's a lot of data normalization that needs doing. Right now, the main problem
with this approach is the MySQL/PHP-formatted date field is nonsense as ASCII and I'd need
to convert it somehow to make it useful in XML.

> Another approach might be to setup Php and MySQL with this project, then update the Php
to output the data.

> But what is the goal of this? To create a new web site that tracks users passwords and
login dates? Or to create a list of all the modules?

> If just the latter, the XML conversion might work. If the goal is to migrate the user
accounts and their passwords, then the focus should probably be with the Php and a new MySQL
site.

> Is there any opportunity during this transition to add some fields? There's a few things
that could probably be improved in the current schema.

At a high level, the goal is to replace modules.apache.org with a new modules.apache.org which
we host and operate. Specific implementation details are entirely up to us - this is a do-ocracy.

In my ideal world, we'd want something that the module authors can update themselves, and
doesn't require a lot of maintenance on our end. Having something where they host some kind
of data file on their end that we retrieve periodically seems good to me, but I don't know
the details of making that happen. Having a database thingy that they update on our end seems
fine, too.

We've always talked about how nice it would be to have a user rating/comment system attached
to it, so that you can distinguish between mod_foo that was abandoned in 1997 and the one
that was used successfully yesterday.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com