httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <DRugg...@primary.net>
Subject Re: AllowOverride list is incomplete
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:44:39 GMT
That's a very good point - and something I neglected to call out in the
email. The documentation for each directive seems correct as far as
overrides (or at least the ones I have spot checked). So it sounds like
the most straight forward solution would be to put a note into the
AllowOverride doc that points this fact out. As a victim myself of
poorly documented third party modules, the modification in point four
still sounds like something worth pursuing some day.

On 7/19/2011 7:20 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I tend to think that the Right Thing is to mention that each directive has documentation
which says what its AllowOverride needs are.

> On Jul 19, 2011, at 7:59 PM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:
>
>> Hello, folks;
>>    I wanted to plant a bug in everyone's ear about an issue I came across. I'll open
a formal bug and a final list of what is and is not allowed when time permits. I have found
that the documentation (example: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/core.html#allowoverride)
provides an incomplete list of directives permitted by the four AllowOverride options.

>> The bug I wanted to plant is to get opinions/thoughts on...
>>    *How should this be organized and presented? I can foresee that this could get
"cluttery" for AllowOverride documentation.
>>    *Should we try to document all directives? As things are added/removed the list
could get out of sync easily.
>>    *I think it's a good idea to ad a note that the AllowOverride documentation can't
possibly cover directives for 3rd party modules that have overrides.
>>    *Maybe The Right Thing to do is to implement something in mod_info that will show
the overrides and point documentation there?

>> --
>> --
>>
> --
> Rich Bowen