httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: Weirdness in the documentation
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:18:43 GMT

----- Original Message -----
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 09:44:35AM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > I'm at a bit of a loss to understand the adversarial direction this
> > conversation has taken. I was unaware that charsets were such a
> > controversial topic.
> >
> You've missed all the fun :)

Like Rich, I'm mostly oblivious of the topic..

> > Meanwhile, we still have incorrectly displayed content on our site.
> > Mostly, I'm interested in solving this, but charsets have always
> > been something of a mystery to me. I suppose that comes of being a
> > mono-lingual American.
> >
> 7-bit ascii ought to be enough for everyone?
> I'm +1 to getting that default charset change reverted (at least for
> the
> httpd site). If anyone wants to make a compelling argument in favor
> of
> going utf-8, that's something for another day imho.

I speak ~three languages, of which English is the only one without
special characters.

The other two don't fit into the same Charset, so UTF-8, or rather
Unicode, is the only way to go if I want to write my Name and my
Address correctly:
 Galić, ..straße..

Now: Rather than just blindly reverting the change could someone
actually explain what's going on? Exactly why we're fighting a
religious war here?

> vh
>
> Mads Toftum
> --