httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Weirdness in the documentation
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:49:00 GMT

On 19 Jun 2011, at 09:24, André Malo wrote:

> * Nick Kew wrote:
>
>> On 19 Jun 2011, at 07:19, André Malo wrote:
>>> The non-latin-1 charsets are overridden by extensions already. Only the
>>> default was changed...
>>
>> And we got it wrong, breaking the site.
>
> ... for those files which assumed iso-8859-1 sofar. I've already suggested a
> further configuration change to fix that.

Which completely misses the point of simplifying away from gratuitous
complexity.

What about a sysop whose native language is non-European?
Say, for example, a sysop at a Japanese university.  If they make
the same mistake we just did, they'll never notice ('cos it doesn't
affect the japanese), and the brokenness will only affect a minority
of foreign users.

Our unnecessary complexity has just let that user down!

So far, nothing you've said has indicated that the complexity
is anything other than gratuitous.  I put the question regarding
Russian and Korean (on which I'm not competent to comment),
but have yet to receive any feedback thereupon.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html