httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Weirdness in the documentation
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:02:25 GMT

On 19 Jun 2011, at 07:19, André Malo wrote:

> The non-latin-1 charsets are overridden by extensions already. Only the
> default was changed...

And we got it wrong, breaking the site.

It's our business as software developers to make life easy[1] for our users.
Not to present them with a minefield of gotchas.  If the ASF's own sysops
fall straight into a site-breaking gotcha, we're demonstrating our own
failure.  I'm suggesting therefore that a modest simplification, as offered
by utf-8, might be in order.

You clearly disagree.  That's fine, but you really don't need to make a
'religious war' (your words) of it.  Do you have any *constructive* response
to the suggestion that utf-8 offers a worthwhile simplification?

[1] No I don't believe in 'dumbing down': software should be as simple
as possible, but no simpler.  Nor - crucially - more complex.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html