httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Vincent Deffontaines <vinc...@gryzor.com>
Subject Re: Weirdness in the documentation
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 21:43:17 GMT
On 18/06/2011 22:29, André Malo wrote:
> * Nick Kew wrote:
>
>> On 18 Jun 2011, at 20:32, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>> Today I noticed that there's some kind of weirdness with non-printable
>>> characters in the documentation. See attached screenshot.
>>>
>>> Was there a recent change to the XSLT files?
>>
>> Doesn't look like it from a glance at the svn.  No change to the XSLT
>> since 2009. More likely the server suddenly started incorrectly sending
>> it as utf-8.
>>
>> However, that does beg the question: shouldn't we move to utf-8
>
> This begs another question: Why would we want that?

As a french translator of the apache docs, I would love to not be
running scripts like below at commit time, and the revert script when I
want to edit the XML file again. If UTF-8 would prevent us from running
these scripts, this would be a good thing for us. I cannot speak for
German/Korean/other translators, but I must suppose they have met some
similar conversion things.

Vincent Deffontaines

Example script :
sed -e 's/À/\&Agrave;/g' \