httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <DRugg...@primary.net>
Subject Re: Admin Group for Wiki
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:26:45 GMT
On 6/12/2011 4:43 PM, Igor Galić wrote:
> it seems the easiest way to prevent the spam on the wiki, is
> to have dedicated Admins. I know this isn't the way a wiki should
> be, but we currently have no sane way of spam prevention.

Can you elaborate on the level of inconvenience this limitation will
add? Is this one of those review-accounts-before-creation kinds of
things or review-posts-before-accepting kinds of things? Are there other
options for review? I would be willing to volunteer time to assist if
the group collectively decides to follow this idea.

As far as the question posed goes, it would seem to me that the ratio of
spam to/valuable content is rather high. The unfortunate reality is that
there are enough Bad Guys on the Internet that ruin things for everyone
and most public forums, wikis and blogs have some form of moderation to
combat this. As long as adding moderation doesn't make it *difficult* to
contribute, I feel that users would understand.

P.S.
I administer some MediaWiki sites, but no MoinMoin powered wiki's. What
is the preferred method of moderation? Something built-in or an extension?

Daniel Ruggeri