httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo>
Subject Re: Weirdness in the documentation
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:56:27 GMT
* Nick Kew wrote:

> On 19 Jun 2011, at 09:24, André Malo wrote:
> > * Nick Kew wrote:
> >>
> >> And we got it wrong, breaking the site.
> >
> > ... for those files which assumed iso-8859-1 sofar. I've already
> > suggested a further configuration change to fix that.
> Which completely misses the point of simplifying away from gratuitous
> complexity.

Oh, now it's gratuitous already. You still fail to explain, why changing
everything to utf-8 and relying on some unrelated default placed somewhere
else will help with that (if you wouldn't want to rely on some unrelated
default, the one-liner fix could just have been applied instead).

See, that's a religious discussion. There's still no reason provided why we
should not just fix the recent misconfiguration, but instead adjust
ourselves to it. Instead the fix is just talked down.

As said, I'm not interested in such a discussion and won't comment any
further on the topic.

> What about a sysop whose native language is non-European?
> Say, for example, a sysop at a Japanese university.  If they make
> the same mistake we just did, they'll never notice ('cos it doesn't
> affect the japanese), and the brokenness will only affect a minority
> of foreign users.
> Our unnecessary complexity has just let that user down!

If you say so.

We deliver a manual config which contains the required configuration.

Now we have the situation, that we missed the one piece for latin-1 users
(html -> iso-8859-1). A further misconfiguration was added (a default was
placed without thinking about or checking the consequences), which exposed
the bug introduced some time ago (by me, apparently) - the bug assumed a
different default configuration. I've provided a one-liner fix. If that's
too complex, well, I can't help it.

> So far, nothing you've said has indicated that the complexity
> is anything other than gratuitous. I put the question regarding
> Russian and Korean (on which I'm not competent to comment),
> but have yet to receive any feedback thereupon.

check the archives, this was discussed various times already. Or don't and
just reconfigure the build system. *shrug*

Have fun.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message