httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Weirdness in the documentation
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:30:52 GMT
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:29:02 +0200
André Malo <nd@perlig.de> wrote:

> > Doesn't look like it from a glance at the svn.  No change to the XSLT
> > since 2009. More likely the server suddenly started incorrectly sending
> > it as utf-8.
> >
> > However, that does beg the question: shouldn't we move to utf-8
>
> This begs another question: Why would we want that?

Well, Vincent has given us one reason.  More below ...

> > How has infra handled multiple charsets in the past?
>
> mod_mime, I believe (modulo some exceptional handling for special
> extensions). Most certainly, it was delivered as iso-8859-1 before, if not
> specified otherwise via file extension.
>
> AddDefaultCharset iso-8859-1 or even better an AddCharset iso-8859-1 .html
> for the manual section should solve the problem.

For English, yes.  For French - up to a point, as noted by Vincent.
For Japanese, Chinese, etc ... no chance.

utf-8 is, in theory at least, universal.

A quick grep reveals that our Russian and Korean translations use
different charsets.  Anyone from those teams reading this?  Would
utf-8 serve you well?

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent.
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html