httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Lucien Gentis <lucien.gen...@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr>
Subject Re: 2.4 new features
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:08:17 GMT

Le 11 avr. 2011 à 18:45, Rich Bowen a écrit :

> On Apr 11, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Lucien Gentis wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1st Question:
>>
>> It's said at the beginning of trunk/en/new_features_2_4.html "This document describes
some of the major changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Apache HTTP Server."

>> Why only "some" ?
>>
>> Would it mean that some other major changes will never appear in this document ?
>
> I think it reflects the fact that different people have different ideas of what's "major"
and so some things make it into the file and others don't.

but it could also make people ask themselves "But what are the OTHERS major changes and why
don't they appear in this document ?"

Alternatively, if you say "Here are THE major changes between ...", people know there are
other changes that the author defined as "minor", and they will look at the changelog if they
are interested.

> I'd personally like to see everything in there that might possibly qualify as an interesting
new feature. It helps migration rates, and gives people something to go off of when they're
asked "what's new in 2.4" and aren't intimately familiar with all the changes.

I agree 100 %

>> 2nd Question, same file:
>>
>> mod_slotmem_shm
>> Provides a Slot-based shared memory provider (ala the scoreboard).
>>
>> This module permits to save/restore memory segments when server restarts ; but could
someone explain "ala the scoreboard" ?

> That one, I can't help you with, other than to suggest that you `svn blame` and ask the
person who wrote that line.

> --
> Rich Bowen
> rbowen@rcbowen.com