httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Lucien Gentis <lucien.gen...@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr>
Subject Re: 2.4 new features
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:39:27 GMT

Le 11 avr. 2011 à 19:15, Nick Kew a écrit :

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:53:16 +0200
> Lucien Gentis <lucien.gentis@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1st Question:
>>
>> It's said at the beginning of trunk/en/new_features_2_4.html "This document describes
some of the major changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Apache HTTP Server."

>> Why only "some" ?
>>
>> Would it mean that some other major changes will never appear in this document ?
>
> It's conservative language.  It means noone is going to point at something
> that's been overlooked and rubbish our documents for making false claims.
> That's very natural to me.  If you find it strange, I guess that could be
> a cultural difference between our countries.

So it could be interesting to know what other non-english native speaking people think of
that, to know if it has to be taken in account.

>> 2nd Question, same file:
>>
>> mod_slotmem_shm
>> Provides a Slot-based shared memory provider (ala the scoreboard).
>>
>> This module permits to save/restore memory segments when server restarts ; but could
someone explain "ala the scoreboard" ?

> Not really a very useful comment!
>
> I guess it's historic.  First we had the scoreboard.  Then the scoreboard
> expanded by feature creep to places where it was the wrong solution.
> The slotmem rationalises the situation, providing for the kind of
> application that was squatting in the scoreboard.
>
> Whether it really makes sense to have both slotmem and socache
> modules is another question ...

As said Rich, I'll ask to the author of this line

Thanks

Lucien

> --
> Nick Kew
>
> Available for work, contract or permanent.
> http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

Lucien Gentis
SIRET
Faculté de Médecine - Nancy