httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.4 new features
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 17:15:03 GMT
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:53:16 +0200
Lucien Gentis <lucien.gentis@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1st Question:
>
> It's said at the beginning of trunk/en/new_features_2_4.html "This document describes
some of the major changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Apache HTTP Server."

> Why only "some" ?
>
> Would it mean that some other major changes will never appear in this document ?

It's conservative language.  It means noone is going to point at something
that's been overlooked and rubbish our documents for making false claims.
That's very natural to me.  If you find it strange, I guess that could be
a cultural difference between our countries.

> 2nd Question, same file:
>
> mod_slotmem_shm
> Provides a Slot-based shared memory provider (ala the scoreboard).
>
> This module permits to save/restore memory segments when server restarts ; but could
someone explain "ala the scoreboard" ?

Not really a very useful comment!

I guess it's historic.  First we had the scoreboard.  Then the scoreboard
expanded by feature creep to places where it was the wrong solution.
The slotmem rationalises the situation, providing for the kind of
application that was squatting in the scoreboard.

Whether it really makes sense to have both slotmem and socache
modules is another question ...

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent.
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html